Saturday, November 6, 2010

The third installment of The Cycle of Fire by Janny Wurts

Shadowfane (The Cycle of Fire, #3)Shadowfane by Janny Wurts

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Demons or aliens, star ships with the technology to create sorcerers, plenty of psychological drama reins in the last installment of The Cycle of Fire.

For those who find Janny Wurts 'too difficult' will find this trilogy fairly easy going, but with some sophisticated psychological twists.  This element in Wurts' writing is what draws me to her books.  As in her later work, layers are uncovered gradually to reveal depth and the unexpected.

Dreamweaver, Firelord, and Stormwarden fight heroically to save mankind from the destruction desired by alien races (or demons) in revenge for being taken from their home planets.

I do think a fourth book would be lovely.  There is plenty of meat here for more.

A great listen!



View all my reviews

In other news, I think my refrigerator is sick.  The top half of the freezer is no longer freezing and I found the source of that awful smell I've been searching high and low for.  Also, I'm starting to wonder if I'm coming down with something, as I am achey and very tired.

I just finished this one, too.  Very good, but the narrator a little too flat.

A Thousand Splendid SunsA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Afghanistan from the woman's point of view, lovely, sad, hopeful.  The only surprise here is the mercy of some Taliban.  The friendship and love between Mariam and Laila is very moving.  Hosseini does a great job of getting inside their heads.  At times I felt sorry for Rashaad, a pitiful and brutal man in a society with no room for healing of old wounds and for recognition of the sacred feminine.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment