Saturday, November 20, 2010

I just revised this review but I still don't think it does the book justice

Fugitive Prince (Wars of Light & Shadow #4; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #1)Fugitive Prince by Janny Wurts

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


After rereading this book recently, I'm revising my rating to 5 stars.  It does slow down from the pace of the first three, but now that I have the full story of the 3rd Arc, I have to give it 5 stars as every element in this book is essential to the completion of the whole story.


As in the previous books, the plot is intricate and compelling.  The battle continues with Lysaer wanting to wage war and Arithon fleeing to try and avoid more killing, which tears him to pieces.  Each book adds more layers to the overall picture of the world of Athera, the ancient Paravians who have disappeared, the mystery of where they went and why humans are on this world at all.  It reminds me of one of those pictures with many layers of sheer paper with the objects colored in that keep building complexity upon complexity until the image is very rich and powerful.


One intense and emotional scene consists of the sorcerers confronting Lysaer and giving him alternate choices of action.

One of the important things that emerges more completely in this book is that since their empathic connection while healing the fisherman in Merior, Elaira and Arithon are able to maintain an empathic connection with one another and are able to be aware of how the other one is feeling by reaching out empathetically.  The love that develops in this way is quite powerful, even though they are not able to be together because of Elaira's oath to the Koriani for celibacy and obedience.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment