Friday, November 26, 2010

I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving.

I did.  A long ride to Massachusetts and back, a gourmet meal at my daughters, the company of my family and some interesting guests.  And finally to end the day finishing this lovely, lovely book.  What more can you ask?

CheckmateCheckmate by Dorothy Dunnett

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


10 stars



I shall harness thee a chariot
of lapis-lazuli and gold
Come into our dwelling, in the
perfume of the cedars.


This fragment of poetry is laced through the chapters of this book, and for me, it evokes the emotions of longing and and finally, fulfillment to be found in the Lymond Chronicles.

Masterfully woven, filled with tension, hope, despair, grief, violence and love; Checkmate brings the saga of Francis Crawford of Culter, Comte de Sevigny to a close.  Alas, any story following this is bound to be a disappointment, with a few notable exceptions.  Dunnett is without question a master of historical fiction.  She challenges us with her French and literary quotations, her olde English, to join the journeys and adventures of the remarkable Lymond.  I promise you, if you accept the challenge, and wade into the depths of 16th century Europe with Lymond, his brother Richard, his mother Sybilla, his fellow armsmen, his women, and finally his love - you will not be disappointed.  I join the ranks of people who say, 'Oh, I love these books,' and sigh with poignant regret that they are now read.

I will be rereading them, that is without doubt.  From racing through to find out what happens, to stopping to savor the beauty and terror along the way, I find myself even now returning to parts of the book to reread, to recall bits lost and to re-savor the wealth.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment